[K12OSN] Full system file access from terminals??

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Wed Mar 21 00:41:16 UTC 2007

This may be a little oversimplified, but...

/etc/exports contains the files required for the terminal to get up and
running, and to "see" the server.

Once the terminal can see the server, all the programs run on the
server and display on the terminal.  So it is normal for the terminals
to have full access to the server's file system.  Note that this is not
insecure, because you still have all the Linux file system permissions
keeping regular users out of the stuff that they shouldn't have access
to.  This is by default, and you don't need to change any permissions in
order to acheive this.  Regular users can see some, but not all system
files, and they can't modify any of them.

-Rob