[K12OSN] PXE Files missing in Version 6

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Fri Mar 23 15:16:39 UTC 2007

Ronnie Miller wrote:
> I finally had a chance to throw together another server. Still trying to
> learn a little about Linux in general and K12LTSP in particular.
>
> I ran into the same issue that I had previously. I ran the Version 6
> install and still couldn't get a terminal to attach. It got a DHCP
> address, but couldn't find the PXE boot file(s).
>
> Sure enough, I looked under the tftboot folder and the PXE folder was
> empty. Once again, I copied the files from a prior Ver 5 install and it
> started working. Tomorrow, I'm going to spend some more time snooping
> around and will also run the file update function and see if it still
> works. Last time, even after I had everything working, downloading and
> installing all the updates made it quit. So, I had to rebuild it again.
>
> I've got one other question. The box I'm working on has an on-board
> Gigabit NIC and I added a 3Com 10/100 NIC. I would like for the on-board
> nic to be eth0 and serve the terminals and the 3Com to be eth1 and
> connect to our lan. But, when I installed the OS, it defaulted the other
> way. Is there a fairly simple way to switch them?

In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ you'll find ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1.  In each of
those you can specify the MAC address of the card you want the script to control.  The
syntax is

HWADDR=00:08:54:4F:49:1D

Adjust the above address to fit your cards, and use the respective address for each card.

BTW, there's something wrong with your installation.  I've installed K12LTSP 6 several
times on various machines in the past few months, and I've never seen your problem of an
empty /tftpboot.  I'm not sure where to look but perhaps check through your installation
process to make sure you're not choosing something odd along the way.

Petre