Re: [K12OSN] Re: K12LTSP

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 02:56:19PM -0400, Tom Wolfe wrote:
> When you're ready to roll in a serious way I would advise considering
> getting a powerful and reliable server with RAID-1, fast hard drives, dual
> 64-bit processors, etc. just so that the experience starts off well and
> runs reliably. I'm sure lots of folks use old equipment for servers, but
> since it's the backbone of your network, splurge a little. That said,
> 64-bit is not as well supported as 32-bit and will cause you a few
> headaches with software compatibility (Flash being the most notorious).

For reference:  I just bought a desktop-class machine to use as a
K12LTSP server with the following specs, for $700

AMD AM2 5000 dual core, 64 bit processor
2 GB 800 Mhz ram
2x 320 GB SATA hard drives (set up w/ software RAID-1)
Onboard 1000 Mbps LAN
Onboard audio and video
DVD burner
Tower style case with room for 6x 3.5" drives and 4x 5.25" drives
no keyboard, monitor, or mouse

I got it unassembled.  Assembly would have cost another $50.

-Rob