Re: [K12OSN] tag based filing system?

You want a document management system, not a file system. Take a look
at egroupware.org.

Dan

On 5/3/07, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108 gmail com> wrote:
Is there any way to add tag based browsing (like Gmail) to linux?

e.g. At our school we do thematic curriculum and often we would want to
place one document under different headings. For example on the theme of
water we could have a poem about water and a science experiment. We could
file them /water/science and /water/english or we could file them as
/science/water and english/water
By filing with tags and using a tag browser we could browse for the folder
using either logic.

I have googled, but haven't come up with anything solid yet.
Beagle and saved searches is not what I am after. I would like a virtual
filing system that can be browsed based on tags. Subdirectories would show
other tags connected with files that have the first tag. An example would be
simpler.
My (simple) system has three files and several tags.
Water poem.odf - tag:water, english, poem, ice
Water experiment 1.odf tag: water, science, chemistry,experiment, freezing,
ice
Water experiment 2.odf tag:water, science, chemistry, experiment, dissolving

If we open the water directory we get all the documents, with all the other
tags listed as sub-directories.
If we go to the science sub-directory we will see both experiments listed.
with chemistry, experiment, freezing,ice and dissolving shown as
subdirectories.
If we go back to the water directory and open the ice directory we will see
Water poem and Experiment 1.
Or something along these lines.

This will be useful for indivual users filing and also for the shared file
storage area where all teachers put there lesson plans and resources.

Does anyone know of any system that can do this on our K12LTSP 6 system?

Thanks.
Krsnendu dasa