Re: [K12OSN] Firefox crashes

Michael Blinn wrote:
I start the machine with the i810 xserver and no 'videoram' directive. At the login screen, I switch to vt2, run free, and I get the following:

Mem total:  254980   used: 42812   free: 212168

So, I put 207195 (212168/1024) in the X_VIDEORAM line. (It doesn't like the M). Now, when loading pages such as overstock or amazon, where there are lots of images, I get a full-on xserver crash and the terminal is locked, showing the "press <enter> to continue" message at the console screen, though pressing enter has no effect.

I'm wondering why you are using the size of your system ram, to determine how much memory your video card has. They really aren't related.

The 'videoram' setting is normally not needed. the Xserver is supposed to be able to figure it out automatically, by probing the card BUT, sometimes, with some chipsets, it fails. In those cases, we need to tell it how much ram to use. In most of those cases, telling it 4mb or 8mb is about all you need to do.

Sometimes, you can see how much ram is used for video by looking in the bios configuration tool.

A typical setting would be:

    X_VIDEORAM = 8192
    X_VIDEORAM = 4096
    X_VIDEORAM = 3072

Try one of those settings to see if it helps.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org

Any other suggestions? I wouldn't be so worried, but I have 10 or 15 of these GX110s.

Thanks,
  Michael