[K12OSN] Data Storage - Redundancy and Backup Suggestions

Hello fellow K12ltsp'ers,

Currently, all of my student's files (and some of mine) are spinning on an old 80GB drive in the smb-ldap PDC with no backup and no redundancy. I can barely sleep at night.

We are starting a online student portfolio project next year that will add lots of data that needs to be safely stored, backed up, etc...

Any suggestions for size, type of drives, should I stick them in the PDC and just use software RAID or do I need some kind of Hardware solution? Should I buy some kind of external drive array? How will I know if something goes wrong? and what is the best way to backup all of this data?

We are a single site independent charter school with a maximum enrollment of 320 students K-12.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Nick Fenger
Full Time Teacher and Full Time Technology Coordinator (I'm cloned ;)
Trillium Public Charter School
Portland, OR