Re: [K12OSN] Language lab software

I had a small private language school 5 years ago and we put a lab
together with LTSP (K12LTSP was still a little immature then, if I
remember) and the localized Linux flavor. We had to create the
material ourselves, though, and it was completely web based.

I also ran a language lab for a university and we used English
Discovery (IIRC), which I got off the flaky Windows 2000 server and
onto Red Hat, including the dongle and license software (that feat
garnered me a job offer from the software company, by the way). The
client stuff was simple enough that it would work in Wine now, so I
suspect you COULD get everything working if you really needed to, but
it'll be a PITA no matter what.

If you're looking for significantly more than listening and
pronunciation practice, the software is heavily geared towards
Windows, so you'll probably end up there. If you need video,
listening, and pronunciation practice, you can achieve that fairly
easily with thin clients. Take a look at Praat
(http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/praat/)for phonetic and pronunciation work.

Dan