Re: [K12OSN] yum update and etc/k12ltsp-release

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 13:33 -0400, John Baillie wrote:

> We have been installing fresh for years. Somewhere along the line I got the impression that starting with ver 5
> we could run yum update and not have to reinstall similar to debian apt-get dist upgrade.

If you use the Upgrade function in K12LTSP, it will not require a total
"blank the hard drive and reinstall".

BUT - do a backup of all critical files first! While the upgrade process
is an rpm guided action, there are still a few config files that don't
get handled properly during an upgrade. In 99.5% of cases, either the
new version will create a config.rpmnew or move the original to
config.rpmsave . It's been a long time since I've seen it but some
earlier upgrades would simply overwrite the original config file.

Where things get a bit messy is when the layout of the config file
changes. You will need to do a manual reconfig in that situation.
--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering

<jkinney localnetsolutions com>