Re: [K12OSN] Help: System intrusion through ssh and a weak password

Nadav Kavalerchik wrote:

we're using freenx through ssh to remote control all the school that are installed with ltsp

what we did is moved the ssh port somewhere high in the port list, it solved all the "scanning" and trying to "break in" log entries that we used to see in the log file :-)

Isn't it wisest to choose an alternate port for ssh from the range <1023 ? since only the root user can manipulate ports in the "assigned ports" range.
Thanks,
Micha
(i wonder how long it will last)