Re: [K12OSN] System76

Not yet, you can't.  Dell hasn't made them available for sale *yet*.  Let's not jump the gun here.

That said, I run GNU/Linux on a C640 (CentOS 4), a D600 (Ubuntu Edgy), a D610 (Slackware 11), and a D820 Core Duo (Ubuntu Feisty, 64-bit).  The only thing that doesn't work is the built-in Winmodem, which, fortunately, I don't use anyway.  Of course, there is the issue of Broadcom wireless with the D600 and D610, but I got that working just fine with a 2.6.17-and-later kernel and some firmware.

CAVEAT!!  If you want to max out the DRAM with a Dell laptop, be careful to buy only 3GB of DRAM, not 4GB.  We found out the hard way, with the D820, that you lose 768MB if you try installing the full 4GB, leaving only 3.25GB.  Dell does *not* tell you this anywhere on their Web site.

--TP
Do you GNU!?

Jason Neiffer wrote:
I have also heard good things about System76 from various Linux podcasts, however, I would certainly consider comparing stats with Dell's offerings.  You can purchase a Dell laptop with Ubuntu now and every single piece of Dell hardware I have purchased has been VERY Linux compatible.  In most cases, Ubuntu runs better than the flavor of Windows that it comes with.

Good luck,
Jason
Capital HS/Montana