Re: [K12OSN] server hostname problems

Rob Owens wrote:
> Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow.  Just for clarification, does /etc/hosts
> need the fully-qualified domain name, or just the first part?  My
> working CentOS 4 box only has the first part, like this:
>
> 127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain localhost myservername

"man hosts" says it should be canonical hostname, followed by aliases.

Whether or not it needs to be the FQDN seems to be up for debate. If
your DNS works, it probably doesn't matter. Somebody more knowledgeable
may disagree. However I think it's typical to do:

127.0.0.1 foo.example.org foo localhost.localdomain localhost

--
Dan Young <dyoung mesd k12 or us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services