Re: [K12OSN] System76

I have had great luck with the nVidia drivers, too, especially in Ubuntu.  With the new closed-source driver install system in Ubuntu 7.04, it was literally three clicks to install.

jn

On 5/7/07, James P. Kinney III <jkinney localnetsolutions com> wrote:
On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 21:03 -0400, "Terrell Prudé Jr." wrote:
> I'd ditch the nVidious graphics if at all possible and go for laptops
> that have Intel video.  If anything, that should make it cost *less*.
> You're right; purchase price cannot be the only determining factor.
> You've also got to ask yourself how much it's going to cost you in
> time to make some nVidious or Broadcom crap actually work with
> GNU/Linux.  That time expenditure can, as I found, be very significant
> indeed.

NVdia graphics chips always work with Linux. They (NVidia) may not have
an open source driver, but the driver they have is top notch. The
disaster with laptop video happens with the use of shared RAM. All of
the Intel video I have ever seen in a laptop use shared RAM. It is
possible to get dedicated graphics RAM with NVidia chips in laptops.

Making a laptop work with Linux is no easy matter. The overall quantity
of no-driver hardware on the systems is frustrating. The only advantage
of Dell joining the fray on supplying laptops with Linux is it _may_
help push some stubborn manufacturers into writing drivers for Linux or
opening up their specs so someone else can.

> --TP
> _______________________________
> Do you GNU!?
> Microsoft Free since 2003--the ultimate antivirus protection!
>

> Timothy Hart wrote:
> > The prices on system76 don't seem that crazy. Maybe I just haven't
> > compared enough, but looks pretty good to me. Built in camera,
> > nVidia 256MB graphics, non broadcom wireless. I didn't think I was
> > crazy when I thought Dell wasn't doing it yet. I did have a D610
> > running Mepis and a couple other distros. Took me a while to get the
> > wireless going but it worked eventually.
> >
> > Paul, I have no problem with a company making a profit. Far from it.
> > I just like it when companies embrace open source as a business
> > model. Yes, Dell is "finally" getting on board. I don't want to get
> > hosed on price, but it isn't the only thing I am looking for. That
> > is why I am wondering about what others think.
> >
> > Tim
> >
> > On 5/7/07, Jonathan Carter < jonathan ubuntu com> wrote:
> >         Hi Timothy
> >
> >         Timothy Hart wrote:
> >         > Has anyone ever used any of the laptops from system76
> >         > (http://system76.com). I need a new Linux laptop and heard
> >         about them on
> >         > the Linux Action Show. Wondering if anyone has had some
> >         first hand (or
> >         > second or third) knowledge about them. Thanks.
> >
> >         I've met quite a few System76 laptop users this week (here
> >         at the Ubuntu
> >         developers summit in Spain), and everyone I've met who has
> >         one is quite
> >         happy with their system. The hardware really doesn't look
> >         too bad
> >         either, compared to other decent laptop brands.
> >
> >         -Jonathan

> --
> believed to be clean.
James P. Kinney III