Re: [K12OSN] Just about ready to make a purchase

On 5/8/07, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
On 5/8/07, Jim Kronebusch <jim winonacotter org> wrote:
---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|

> -2 Intel Pro 1000MT Dual port adapters for a total of four
gigabit NICS teamed as one with ALB

Does NIC bonding work well for you Jim? I have heard that it does
not scale well. ie 2 bonded nics don't equal 2x performance.  You
might want to look at separate subnets on each NIC connected to
physically separate switches as a means of addressing bottlenecks.
http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Technical:Subnetting

While certainly not disagreeing with the second half of your statment,
the first half is, as I understand it, a limitation of the PCI bus and
not of the adapter teaming itself.  If we're talking PCIe or PCIx
adapters this barrier may diminish or even disappear.

Having said that, I've never seen performance numbers for dual-dual
adapters in a quad-bond configuration on a PCIx or PCIe bus.  It is
certainly possible that either configuration would work.  Which of
them is more scalable, and probably cheaper?  Almost definitely the
subnet-per-NIC approach.

-dhbarr.