Re: [K12OSN] Just about ready to make a purchase

> Your post stuck in my head this evening Jim. Few more points I wanted
> to share. Those 8 cores are fed by (share) one 800Mhz FSB memory
> controller using UMA (Uniform Memory Access). This is where Opteron
> systems shine. Each Opteron has it's own memory controller. So you
> would have 4 memory controllers controlling 4 memory banks. However, I
> am not sure if NUMA (Non Uniform Memory Access) in the Linux kernel
> works with dual core cpu's. Maybe someone can chime in if they know.
> But I know 4 single core cpu's would enable NUMA support.

According to a comparison chart I found from Dell, it says the following about the 6800.
"Intel Xeon 7100: Dual Independant 800 Mhz Front side bus".  Now that only mentions the
7100 processor, but I wouldn't think the motherboard architecture would change with
different processors.  Now if I went with Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5300's in a
Poweredge 2900 system, it states that there is a Dual Independant 1066mhz or 1333Mhz
front side bus.

Would this be an indication that this system is not as affected by the memory access
problem?  Does it indicate that I would be better off with a Dual Quad core machine then
with a Quad Dual core machine?

Thanks for your input Robert.  Not only do you make cool software, but give good advice
as well :-)