Re: [K12OSN] Just about ready to make a purchase

On 5/9/07, Les Mikesell <les futuresource com> wrote:
James P. Kinney III wrote:

> Opterons kick some serious bits when it comes to RAM access. During
> testing prior to the APS installation, I determined that a single chip
> dual core 2.6 GHz Opteron could perform about 30% faster than the same
> setup with a dual core 2.8 GHz Xeon.

How long ago was that?  The intel core2 and quad core cpus have
leapfrogged AMDs in recent benchmarks.

Yes that's true for single dual core cpu's. But when you scale up to 8
cores I don't know if I have seen any multitasking benchmarks for that
situation. It's annoying that most benchmarks are for games.

--
Robert Arkiletian