Re: [K12OSN] Just about ready to make a purchase

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On 5/9/07, Les Mikesell <les futuresource com> wrote:
>> James P. Kinney III wrote:
>>
>> > Opterons kick some serious bits when it comes to RAM access. During
>> > testing prior to the APS installation, I determined that a single chip
>> > dual core 2.6 GHz Opteron could perform about 30% faster than the same
>> > setup with a dual core 2.8 GHz Xeon.
>>
>> How long ago was that?  The intel core2 and quad core cpus have
>> leapfrogged AMDs in recent benchmarks.
>>

> Yes that's true for single dual core cpu's. But when you scale up to 8
> cores I don't know if I have seen any multitasking benchmarks for that
> situation. It's annoying that most benchmarks are for games.

Here's an interesting review of an 8-way Opteron:
http://tweakers.net/reviews/674

Read to the end where they note that some apps ran _slower_ on an 8-way
than a 4-way. Performance also varied wildly with different applications.

Basically, it seems like it's hard to predict how a platform will
perform until you try it on _your workload_.

--
Dan Young <dyoung mesd k12 or us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services