Re: [K12OSN] Firefox crashes

Well crap. I suppose that means my upgrade to FC6 planned for tomorrow is not going to solve my problems then.
-Michael

Nadav Kavalerchik wrote:
i just found out that i have this issue too :-( on a new old machine we just got from a junkyard.
we use fc6 + ltsp 4.2 on the server. and the terminal has a i810 video card + 1M ram amongst other hardware.

it crashes the X on clicking a specific site. thou right-click and open in a new window does not crash the firefox (ver 2.0.0.3)
also, opening the same site with Opera works fine (which is our main browser on a kde session)

i'll try setting the video card driver manually to svga and see what happens... (tomorrow)

On 5/4/07, James P. Kinney III <jkinney localnetsolutions com> wrote:
On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 16:40 -0400, Michael Blinn wrote:
> Disabling _javascript_ makes everything work. The Bummer is that the LAMP
> database I wrote for our staff uses quite a bit of _javascript_, so I
> can't turn it off for everyone. I think test #2309385 will be to update
> to v6, which (I think) has a newer xorg, gnome and metacity, and see if
> it still happens.. at least now we know the root cause.

Unless that site is a requirement, just block it at the server using
squidguard. Then you can leave _javascript_ on.

> (By the way, when you say 'let them know', do you mean filing a bugzilla
> report?)

Yes. File a bugzilla report. Since it is repeatable on your chipset and
it is a very common chipset, let the firefox devs know.

> Thank you James & Jim for your help in whittling this down. I'll keep
> you posted.
>
> Cheers,
>  Michael
>
> James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > THAT is interesting! So the browser is crashing the display manager
> > during a nasty load in of _javascript_.
> >
> > Test #2309384 :)
> >
> > Open firefox, disable _javascript_ and try it again. If it doesn't crash,
> > it's a _javascript_ bug in firefox. Let them know the version and link for
> > the crash.
> >
> > Note: many site have lousy _javascript_ that cause many problems. The real
> > bug is on their end.

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering
Local Net Solutions,LLC