[K12OSN] automatically place shortcuts to windows share mounts

Tom Wolfe twolfe at sawback.com
Thu May 10 22:50:27 UTC 2007

I should have probably renamed the subject so that people could figure out
what I was writing about (response to a query from Levi)

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Kemp, Levi wrote:

> Tom, You mentioned you had desktop links to there mounted windows
> shares. Do you mind sharing the config files for that setup. I've been
> running around in circles trying to figure out how to do what should be
> a very simple task. Thanks
>
> Levi Kemp
> Bolivar R-1 Schools

Hi Levi, should be simple but isn't really. Complicated by the fact that I
have different mount points for teacher vs. student dirs.

I'll include the script I use, but you need to have the mounts already in
place with pam_mount. I tried with a static mount but this doesn't work
because of permissions issues. The script is a little rough-and-ready hack
but so far so good. Any comments on how to improve it would be appreciated
as it's my very own and I know nothing much about bash scripting.

In the following, note the following:
srv01 - teacher server
srv02 - student server
StudentHome$ - name of student share
redirs$ - name of teacher share (don't ask why I called it that)
MORLEYSCHOOL - the name of the subdirectoyr of /home where your K12LTSP
user dirs are located

***Here's the permissions, path, contents of Default script***

-bash-3.1$ ls -l Default
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 731 Apr 20 09:25 Default
-bash-3.1$ pwd
/etc/gdm/PostLogin
-bash-3.1$ cat Default

#!/bin/sh

DESKTOP=$HOME/Desktop

if [ ! -d $DESKTOP ]; then
        mkdir $DESKTOP
fi

TEACHER=`wbinfo -r $USER | grep 16777220`
STUDENT=`wbinfo -r $USER | grep 16777221`

if [ "$TEACHER" = "16777220" ]; then
        if [ ! -d $DESKTOP/$USER\'s\ Documents ]; then
                ln -s $HOME/.TeacherShare/$USER/My\ Documents
$DESKTOP/$USER\'s\ Documents
        fi
        if [ ! -d $HOME/$USER\'s\ Documents ]; then
                ln -s $HOME/.TeacherShare/$USER/My\ Documents
$HOME/$USER\'s\ Documents
        fi
fi

if [ "$STUDENT" = "16777221" ]; then
        if [ ! -d $DESKTOP/$USER\'s\ Documents ]; then
                ln -s $HOME/.StudentShare/$USER $DESKTOP/$USER\'s\
Documents
        fi
        if [ ! -d $HOME/$USER\'s\ Documents ]; then
                ln -s $HOME/.StudentShare/$USER $HOME/$USER\'s\ Documents
        fi
fi

*** How do I get the gid? ***

===First get the SID===
-bash-3.1$ wbinfo -n Teachers
S-1-5-21-2740314747-2312880343-20781259-2795 Domain Group (2)

===Then copy and past the SID into wbinfo -Y===
-bash-3.1$ wbinfo -Y S-1-5-21-2740314747-2312880343-20781259-2795
16777220

*** Here is my pam_mount.conf ***

-bash-3.1$ cat /etc/security/pam_mount.conf

debug 1
mkmountpoint 1
fsckloop /dev/loop7

lsof /usr/sbin/lsof %(MNTPT)
fsck /sbin/fsck -p %(FSCKTARGET)
losetup /sbin/losetup -p0 "%(before=\"-e\" CIPHER)" "%(before=\"-k\" KEYBITS)" %(FSCKLOOP) %(VOLUME)
unlosetup /sbin/losetup -d %(FSCKLOOP)
cifsmount /bin/mount -t cifs //%(SERVER)/%(VOLUME) %(MNTPT) -o "user=%(USER),uid=%(USERUID),gid=%(USERGID)%(before=\",\" OPTIONS)"

umount /bin/umount %(MNTPT)

lclmount /bin/mount -p0 -t %(FSTYPE) %(VOLUME) %(MNTPT) "%(before=\"-o\" OPTIONS)"
cryptmount /bin/mount -t crypt "%(before=\"-o\" OPTIONS)" %(VOLUME) %(MNTPT)
nfsmount /bin/mount %(SERVER):%(VOLUME) %(MNTPT) "%(before=\"-o\" OPTIONS)"
mntagain /bin/mount --bind %(PREVMNTPT) %(MNTPT)
mntcheck /bin/mount # For BSDs (don't have /etc/mtab)
pmvarrun /usr/sbin/pmvarrun -u %(USER) -o %(OPERATION)

volume * cifs srv01 redirs$ /home/MORLEYSCHOOL/&/.TeacherShare uid=& - -
volume * cifs srv02 StudentHome$ /home/MORLEYSCHOOL/&/.StudentShare uid=& - -

*** Note the bottom two lines are the most important. Note Fedora uses
cifs now, NOT smbfs (does the same thing). ***

Hope that helps,
Tom Wolfe