[K12OSN] some scripting help

Ray Garza ray at mission.lib.tx.us
Fri May 11 15:43:33 UTC 2007

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to convince my boss to expand K12LTSP services to include some PC's
in the Children's Department (I work at a public Library) and a separate room
we use to allow Chatting and Guest computers. But, before I can do the
expansion, I need to come up with a way to copy Firefox Cache from each
account to a single folder for his inspection.

I was thinking that a script could do the job. Let me demonstrate what the
script should do.

get this
/home/P042024/.../cache/somefilename

to this
/somefolder/P042024somefilename.jpg

Do it for every account on the server.

Scan all the home folders, find firefox cache and attach the account name to
the beginning of the filename and attach ".jpg" to the end.

Maybe add to copy only files that are within two weeks

If I can get something like that and demonstrate it then I have the green
light to expand Linux usage in out Library.

You know I'm have a Deja Vu moment. I thought I'd posted something like this
before but I couldn't find it in the archives.

PS: I would like to learn scripting - any good books that you can recommend?

Ray Garza
Coordinator of Computer Services
Speer Memorial Library