[K12OSN] 5.0.0EL local printing problems

I can't get local printing to work on my K12LTSP 5.0.0EL system.  I've got
this in my lts.conf file:

[shipping]
PRINTER_0_TYPE = P
PRINTER_O_DEVICE = /dev/lp0

I verified that the thin client is picking up settings in lts.conf by changing
the mouse type.  That worked, so it seems like the thin client should be
getting these printer settings, too.

>From a shell on the thin client, I cannot telnet to port 9100.  From the
server, running "nmap shipping" only shows a port open for X traffic (6000
maybe?) -- no port 9100.

I don't need to enable local devices in order to get local printing working, do I?

ps efx at a shell on the thin client shows nothing.

ps efx on the server shows a huge mess of stuff that includes "shipping" (the
name of my thin client).

/dev/lp0 exists on the thin client

Any ideas?

-Rob