Re: [K12OSN] local devices - PCMCIA

I think it's the idea that the local hard drive gets locked up in their office at night, so they think it's more secure for their private files. In a way they're right. I could read anything I want to that's on the
server (with root / administrator rights), but I'd have a hard time
accessing a hard drive that's in a locked office.  Not that they're
trying to protect their data from me, but they understand lock-and- key
security better than network security.

Just remind them that all data not accessible to the sysadmin is not
getting backed up and is their problem to restore. :)

If they want the data secured from the sysadmin, then why not encrypt it?
Extremely private data ought to be anyways. That solves both problems.