[K12OSN] winbindd error

I'm trying to setup a second k12ltsp 6.0 server to authenticate against an
win2k AD server. My first server is working fine but when I try to set up my
second server I get a winbind error:

Winbindd dead but pid file exists

I google it and the links say to delete two files
/var/run/winbindd.pid
/var/loc/subsys/winbindd

But it does not help.

I've duplicated all the necessary config files using server 1 as the base. I
can ping the AD server

I can generate a krb5 ticket but I can't get the SID from the Ad server
I run net getlocalsid CHECKLIST0 and it bombs out with:

Can't fetch domain SID for: checklist0

Now I'm stuck in the mud

Any suggestions?