[K12OSN] OT: Routing issue

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat May 19 22:46:55 UTC 2007

It sounds like you're using the "direct routing" method vs. the "NAT
routing" method.  There's nothing wrong with using the "direct routing"
algorithm; that actually can reduce the load on the load balancer by
quite a bit.  Just this week, I set up a load balancer as a
proof-of-concept, using NAT routing.  On a Pentium 4  box running at
2.8GHz, I was able to push 320.3Mbps through the new CentOS 5's LVS,
which consumed just under 70% CPU.  Granted, that's not a small amount
of traffic, and it actually does serve our needs at work very well, but
it would've been even larger had I used direct routing.

What kind of load balancer are you using?

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus
protection!