Re: [K12OSN] SDL - unable to initialize video errors

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 09:57 -0700, Carl Keil wrote:

> PS - Is it risky to turn nightly Yum off on a production box?  It seems
> risky to leave it on, because stuff like this happens, but is it analogous
> to not running update on a windows box, in that I'm leaving myself open to
> security vulnerabilities?

I would argue it is more risky to have auto-updates running with Linux
stuff. Once the server is doing what it is supposed to, _only_ update
for security reasons and then do it after a test and have rollback
available. Sometimes a security patch is not relevant to the operation
of the server you use so it can be ignored for a while. Other times, the
security issue can mitigated by other means until the upgrade has been
verified as ready for use in your configuration.

The short answer is turn off yum updates on a production box.
--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering

<jkinney localnetsolutions com>