Re: [K12OSN]

Kemp, Levi wrote:
I have a simple question (really it is this time). I'm putting our sever in a room where it isn't the most accessible to me, but easy for wiring purposes and want to log in remotely outside of the LTSP. What would you suggest would be the easiest way to do this, similar to Remote Desktop for Administration on a Windows Server? Thanks. Almost forgot, Linux and/or windows.

For command line access, ssh from linux, putty from windows. If you are running X on the desktop where you start the ssh, you can start individual X programs and have them open their own windows back on your desktop.

There are an assortment of ways to do remote GUI desktops.

Vnc will work cross-platform and is set up on k12ltsp to create a new session per connection. It is also possible to install the vnc module for X that lets you access the running console session.

For a straight X sessions like the thin clients get, from linux you can 'Xnest :1 -query hostname' and from windows you can run cygwin or xming X.

And probably the nicest way is with freenx on the server and the free NX client that you can download from www.nomachine.com. This works nicely over low bandwidth connections and lets you suspend running sessions and reconnect to them later.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com