[K12OSN] Devanagari (Sanskrit/Hindi) font and keyboard layout

We need to use Devanagari font to type Sanskrit documents on our
K12LTSP system. At login from the terminals Hindi is a language that
can be chosen but when I go to choose Hindi keyboard layout it is not
listed. It lists other Indian languages like Gujarati and Tamil but no
Hindi or Devanagari.

How can I use devanagari? I have googled and found references to Gnome
phonetic keyboard layout, and ISIS but I can figure out how to install
or use any of them.

Also when I click on a keyboard layout I don't get the preview in the window.

Any help much appreciated.

Krsnendu dasa