Re: [K12OSN] Way OT: scripting help

Dan Young wrote:
Dimitri Yioulos wrote:
I'm still grateful, but that construct didn't work upon test. The error msg is "Usage: find [path...] [expression]". I tried putting the new code in various places in my original line, but no joy. Any idea why I'm getting the error?

I added a backslash to escape the newline so it would wrap in my mail.
Can you try putting the whole thing on one line? I shorted some names to
make it fit here:

find $WORK -maxdepth 1 -mtime +$DAYS ! -name file -exec rm {} \;

And test with non-critical data, of course.

I always do it this way:
find ..options... -print0 |xargs -0 command

This way find writes the list of files to stdout, xargs reads them and collates into reasonable sized groups and puts them on the command line of the specified command. It's more efficient than exec'ing the command for each file and you don't have to worry about the command line size limit like you might for a wildcard expansion or
command `find ...options...`
The print0 and -0 xargs option specify that the names will be null terminated so embedded newlines in filenames don't confuse things.

find $WORK -maxdepth 1 -mtime +$DAYS ! -name file -print0 |xargs -0 rm

You can leave off the -print0 and xargs part to preview the list or redirect it to a file if you want to check it first.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com