Re: [K12OSN] Client Ram

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 15:13 -0700, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On 5/24/07, James P. Kinney III <jkinney localnetsolutions com> wrote:
> > > >

> > > Curious Terrell, on your 32MB client:
> > > what color depth were you using?
> > > what kind of video card were you using?
> > > how much ram did the video card have?
> >
> > Unless the RAM is shared with the video chip, the resolution an color
> > depth will have no impact on the system RAM of performance unless it's a
> > system from pre-1975 or so).
>
> I agree. But somehow firefox seems to be affecting RAM consumption on
> the client in terms of the images that are cached in X. At least this
> is my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Does firefox displaying images affect ram consumption of X on the client?
Firefox does some HEAVY caching and that eats RAM like it's free. But
that aspect should only be on the server side. The TC should not see it.

Hmm. Unless firefox is using the xserver to manage caching...

I have firefox open (not running a TC environment) and xorg has ~98MB
and firefox has ~109MB. I opened another firefox window and loaded up a
bunch of new tabs with different web pages with graphics and my xorg
went to 118MB and firefox went to 115MB. It looks like it is directly
accessing the xorg process.