Re: [K12OSN] Client Ram

So Firefox stores pixmaps uncompressed in the X server cache.
Unbelievable. Is it Firefox or Gecko? Does Seamonkey suffer the same
limitation. Could you move to Epiphany? Wow.

I began to get scared a few years ago when so many new desktop
applications started to get written for Linux. So many of them
wouldn't work over the network. I got worried that LTSP might become
non-viable some day when all the standard apps needed local resources.
Once Freedesktop.org was started and picked up momentum with Jim as
one of the founding members, I calmed down, but I guess I shouldn't
have. Firefox seems to follow it's own rules all the time, anyway.

Dan

On 5/25/07, Dan Young <dyoung mesd k12 or us> wrote:
On 5/24/07, Rob Owens <rowens ptd net> wrote:
> So maybe the question should be:  Is there a browser that it better
> suited to LTSP than Firfox is?

Well, part of it comes down to tuning. Eric put together a Firefox
extension that sets several options to more friendly levels. In
particular:

browser.cache.memory.capacity
and
browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers

The defaults are variable depending on the total memory of the
computer. Of course, in an LTSP environment, it's all shared, so a 4G
host can't expect to have all that for one browser instance.

As I understand it, the defaults have been dialed back somewhat for
Firefox 2. Eric's Firefox extension dials back these values too.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2006-May/msg00372.html

--
Dan Young <dyoung mesd k12 or us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services