Re: [K12OSN] Client Ram

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
On 5/24/07, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
On 5/23/07, Terrell Prude' Jr. <microman cmosnetworks com> wrote:
> I've found that you only need 32MB DRAM on your clients.  For several
> years, up to and including today, I run Pentium-166 clients with 32MB
> DRAM, and no, I don't have NFS swap turned on.  Not once has a client
> died on me...and I run a whole lot of Firefox sessions and other things,
> simultaneously, on one client (OpenOffice.org, The GIMP, multiple
> Konqueror sessions, GAIM, etc.).  Remember, this stuff runs on the
> server, not the client.  Heck, I've run ancient Power Mac 5260 and Power
> Mac 5500 clients with 32MB DRAM, and they work just fine.  So you're
> certainly safe with 64MB DRAM in your iPaqs

Curious Terrell, on your 32MB client:
what color depth were you using?

forgot to ask resolution.

what kind of video card were you using?
how much ram did the video card have?

1024x768x24bpp.  My video board, a Matrox Millenium G400 with 16MB video RAM, allows this.  Same for my boxes with ATI 3D Rage Pro video boards (8MB video RAM).  I also successfully use S3 Trio64 boards with 2MB video RAM at 1024x768x16bpp.  Most of my thin clients have 32MB main memory, and most are Pentium-166's, though a few do have 64MB.  I've seen no difference.

Now, what *does* make a difference in performance is the video board.  Oh My God, does it make a difference!  The client with the Millenium G400 can do anything--MPlayer video, TuxRacer, you name it without slowing down.  The ATI 3D Rage Pro isn't quite fast enough to keep up with 640x480 MPlayer video (you need to use the -framedrop switch), though it'll do 320x240 just fine.  The S3 Trio64 is--barely--good enough for TuxType, but forget about watching videos; that said, it's just fine for Mozilla/Firefox/OpenOffice.org-type stuff.

I've done all this without ever--once--using NFSSwap, and except for the occasional hardware failure (e. g. DRAM or NIC goes bad), my clients don't crash.

--TP
Do you GNU!?