[K12OSN] sudden appearance of grey X

Dear Folks,
	I am stumped. A server that has been happily running K12 V6
rebelled after reboot. I don't get login screens on teminals nor on VNC
access. No files appear to be changed. xdm-conf is allowing management,
hosts file is fine, stopping iptables doesn't help, switching to kdm
doesn't help. The users are screaming and I am home sick. Ideas, please,
pretty please.
julius

p.s. the server is 1600 miles away from me :-)