[K12OSN] sudden appearance of grey X

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Sat May 26 04:25:25 UTC 2007

On Fri, 25 May 2007, Barry Cisna wrote:

> Julius,
>
> I'm not sure if you can do this, if you are 1600 miles away from
> server,and you can not vnc to it. try and install Webmin so you can have
> another alternative to accessing your server.
>   /etc/hosts.conf file.
> You should have at the top>
> 127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain localhost <hostname>
> ..listed
> If this entry is not showing add it,,then reboot your server.
> If this entry is missing things will work fine until the server is rebooted.
> Something similar happened like this on one of our servers a long time
> ago, and this was the fix. Don't know how the localhost/hostname
> disappeared,but never had a prob after this.
> Also, I presume you can ssh to this server remotely fine?
> Let us know your progress.
>
> Take Care,
>
> Barry Cisna

Bary,
	I wish it was that simple. The /etc/hosts file is fine. Ssh is
working fine, openvpn is working fine, evrything that I can think of is
fine, just no login screen. Turning off iptables doesn't help.
	xdmcp is listening on udp 177, gdm.conf has "enable=true" in
[xdmcp] section, preferred display manager is set to gdm.
	The one hopeful sign is that I don't get the login screen in VNC -
that means that the problem is not with ltsp setup.
grrrr. julius