Re: [K12OSN] Windows with Linux

I've deployed Samba 3.0 using the LDAP backend over 2 years ago. It's still up and running and supporting 100 users (Linux and Windows) at my place of employment.
To setup your Samba and LDAP servers, I strongly recommend using Matt Oquist's samba/ldap installer. I wish I knew about this software when I started. It would have saved me several days of work. Make sure you're using a supported distro such Fedora Core 5 or Ubuntu.

For login scripts, kixtart  is very capable.  I use kixtart to map network drives, update registry entries, setup folder redirection, install software, and to install and configure network printers.  It's a beautiful thing!

To get the functionality of the Windows  Remote Installation Service (RIS), I consulted unattended.sourceforge.net.

To lockdown and standardize user desktops, you can implement mandatory user (roaming) profiles.  You can find instructions and  examples on this topic  by search Google.

On 5/24/07, Dan Young <dyoung mesd k12 or us> wrote:
Mel Wade wrote:
> This summer we are planning on converting our system to run on Linux
> LDAP instead of AD.  My biggest concerns are having the services that I
> need for my WinXP systems.  In particular:
>
> * Windows Updates

Turn on automatic updates and forget about it. ;-)

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/PolicyMgmt.html

> * Logon/Logoff scripts

Look at the sample netlogon share in smb.conf and also "man smb.conf"
looking at the logon script parameters.

--
Dan Young <dyoung mesd k12 or us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services