[K12OSN] Windows with Linux

Conrad Lawes pxeboot at gmail.com
Sat May 26 14:24:59 UTC 2007

I've deployed Samba 3.0 using the LDAP backend over 2 years ago. It's still
up and running and supporting 100 users (Linux and Windows) at my place of
employment.
To setup your Samba and LDAP servers, I strongly recommend using Matt
Oquist's samba/ldap installer <http://majen.net/smbldap/>. I wish I knew
about this software when I started. It would have saved me several days of
work. Make sure you're using a supported distro such Fedora Core 5 or
Ubuntu.

For login scripts, kixtart  is very capable.  I use kixtart to map network
drives, update registry entries, setup folder redirection, install software,
and to install and configure network printers.  It's a beautiful thing!

To get the functionality of the Windows  Remote Installation Service (RIS),
I consulted unattended.sourceforge.net. <http://unattended.sourceforge.net/>

To lockdown and standardize user desktops, you can implement mandatory user
(roaming) profiles.  You can find instructions and  examples on this topic
by search Google.

On 5/24/07, Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us> wrote:

> Mel Wade wrote:
> > This summer we are planning on converting our system to run on Linux
> > LDAP instead of AD.  My biggest concerns are having the services that I
> > need for my WinXP systems.  In particular:
> >
> > * Windows Updates
>
> Turn on automatic updates and forget about it. ;-)
>
> > * Group Policies for locking systems down
>
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/PolicyMgmt.html
>
> > * Logon/Logoff scripts
>
> Look at the sample netlogon share in smb.conf and also "man smb.conf"
> looking at the logon script parameters.
>
> --
> Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
> Multnomah ESD - Technology Services