[K12OSN] sudden appearance of grey X - fixed

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Wed May 30 15:20:51 UTC 2007

On Wed, 30 May 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
>
> > 	you are, or at least might be, right. I copied over the simplest
> > working xorg.conf file I could find, changed the video driver to fit and
> > lo and behold - the console X comes up and VNC works. I don't know if the
> > terminals will come up, but I have high hopes.
> >
> > 	I can't for the life of me figure out what the console setup has
> > to do with VNC, but obviously there is a direct connect.
> >
> > 	I can't figure out why the VNC -stopped- working without any
> > changes in system software.
> >
> > 	I'll report on terminal access tomorrow.
>
> Are they working again or are you still too busy answering the phone to
> post?
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>     les at futuresource.com

Ooops. Les,
	getting Gnome working on the console fixed the problem of gray X for VNC
sessions and for the terminals. I am truly sorry that I've neglected to
write the amended post. Yes, you -were- right :-)  Hearty thanks!

	I am still baffled by the connection - why does the fixing GDm on
console help the terminals and by the actual event - why did a functioning
system suddenly stopped working when there were -no- changes done to
software.