[K12OSN] Network booting iMac clients

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Nov 7 04:40:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:18:14PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > I'm not even at the point of the Mac client asking for the file yet,
> > so it probably doesn't matter where it is.  But, just in case the path
> > name is confusing the Mac I tried just "yaboot".  No luck.
> ----
> I think that is what I have set 'filename' option to be...only yaboot
> but that file and TFTP never worked for the Macs unless yaboot and
> associated files were located in tftp root - nowhere else (I could be
> wrong on this but that is what I found)

Seems to depend on the Mac.  On my newer G4 iBook (months before
moving to Intel) it fetches all the files using the full path name.

But on an older Power Mac G4 it fetches all files using their full
path except yaboo.conf.  I symlinked that into the TFTP root
directory.

Sorry for anyone on the Edubuntu list as I posted this there, but
I wasn't able to get the config Craig posted (maybe because my new
iBook) but was able to use:

    http://www.afp548.com/article.php?story=20061220102102611

And it loads all files over TFTP, but then the kernel boot stops with:

    Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ...
    Done.
    [  ]  request_module: runaway loop modpropbe binfmt-4c46
    [  ]  request_module: runaway loop modpropbe binfmt-4c46
    [  ]  request_module: runaway loop modpropbe binfmt-4c46
    [  ]  request_module: runaway loop modpropbe binfmt-4c46
    [  ]  request_module: runaway loop modpropbe binfmt-4c46

Something isn't quite right in the thin client kernel setup.

 :-(

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org