[K12OSN] SATA driver for K12LTSP 6, help needed.

Dagfinn Stangeland jodgipost at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 20:51:05 UTC 2007

On Nov 17, 2007 11:32 AM, Micha Silver <micha at arava.co.il> wrote:

> Dagfinn Stangeland wrote:
>

> > On Nov 17, 2007 1:18 AM, Gustav Kramer <gjk_lists at rogers.com
> > <mailto: gjk_lists at rogers.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     Place a copy of the DVD ISO on another linux box on the network
> >
> >     On the linux box with the DVD ISO edit /etc/exports to include the
> >     directory holding the ISO - see the existing file for examples but
> it
> >     would probably be something like:
> >     /path/to/iso     192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(ro,no_root_squash,sync)<http://192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0%28ro,no_root_squash,sync%29>
> >     <http://192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0%28ro,no_root_squash,sync%29 >
> >
> >     Restart the nfs server - for Fedora:  /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs restart
> >
> >     Boot the machine you are wanting to install to with the install cd
> and
> >     when you get to the part where it asks you where to install from
> >     choose
> >     the network option - Ignore the http and ftp options, there should
> be
> >     one that says (and here is where I'm really guessing since it's been
> >     awhile) something about NFS.
> >
> >     You will be asked how to assign an ip address to the machine you are
> >     installing to.  If you have a DHCP server great, if not give it an
> >     address in the same range as the box containing the iso.
> >
> >     You will then be asked for the location of the iso - you will have
> >     give it the ip address of the box with the iso AND the
> >     location: /path/to/iso
> >
> >     The details may not be exact but they should get you close. I have
> >     get back to my paper - If you're still messing around with it come
> >     Monday and someone else hasn't jumped in I will be glad to talk you
> >     through it.
> >
> >     Good luck.
> >
> >     - gustav
> >
> > Thanks, that's detailed enough for me to get the drift.
> > Good luck on the paper!
> Dagfinn:
> I might add a few more details to Gustav's suggestion.
> First, read here for specific installation instructions:
> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-steps-network-installs-x86.html#id3216250
>

> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-begininstall-nfs-x86.html
>
> On the "other" linux machine on your network, where you place the DVD
> iso file, make sure that your iptables rules allows all access from the
> local network (where the new machine will be connected). On that machine
> you'll need to start both nfs and portmap.
>
> WHen you boot up the new machine with the DVD, type at the first command
> prompt "linux askmethod" and then you'll get the screen to choose to
> install from an nfs server. When it asks for the nfs server, type in the
> IP of the "other" linux machine, and the path to the iso file on that
> machine (see above links).
>
> That should get you going quickly. Good luck,
> Micha

Thanks

Looks like I have enough pointers to actually pull this off now.
We'll see if I have to get back to you on the details around iptables and
possibly portmap.
But I will probably use a K12LTSP server as the NFS machine, and that prolly
is wide open to the local network already.
My security settings aren't very stringent, since firewall/SELinux forces me
to dabble in things I have poor understanding of.
I know, you security buffs are probably choking on your coffee right now,
but have patience with a simple soul ;)

Thanks again guys, you linux heads really are a friendly bunch!

Dagfinn