[K12OSN] SATA driver for K12LTSP 6, help needed.

Dagfinn Stangeland jodgipost at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 09:29:40 UTC 2007

On Nov 17, 2007 9:51 PM, Dagfinn Stangeland <jodgipost at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2007 11:32 AM, Micha Silver <micha at arava.co.il> wrote:
>
> > Dagfinn Stangeland wrote:
> >

> > > On Nov 17, 2007 1:18 AM, Gustav Kramer <gjk_lists at rogers.com
> > > <mailto: gjk_lists at rogers.com>> wrote:
> > >

> > >     Place a copy of the DVD ISO on another linux box on the network
> > >
> > >     On the linux box with the DVD ISO edit /etc/exports to include the
> >
> > >     directory holding the ISO - see the existing file for examples but
> > it
> > >     would probably be something like:
> > >     /path/to/iso     192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(ro,no_root_squash,sync)<http://192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0%28ro,no_root_squash,sync%29>
> > >     <http://192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0%28ro,no_root_squash,sync%29 >
> > >
> > >     Restart the nfs server - for Fedora:  /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs restart
> > >
> > >     Boot the machine you are wanting to install to with the install cd
> > and
> > >     when you get to the part where it asks you where to install from
> > >     choose
> > >     the network option - Ignore the http and ftp options, there should
> > be
> > >     one that says (and here is where I'm really guessing since it's
> > been
> > >     awhile) something about NFS.
> > >
> > >     You will be asked how to assign an ip address to the machine you
> > are
> > >     installing to.  If you have a DHCP server great, if not give it an
> > >     address in the same range as the box containing the iso.
> > >
> > >     You will then be asked for the location of the iso - you will have
> > >     give it the ip address of the box with the iso AND the
> > >     location: /path/to/iso
> > >
> > >     The details may not be exact but they should get you close. I have
> > >     get back to my paper - If you're still messing around with it come
> > >     Monday and someone else hasn't jumped in I will be glad to talk
> > you
> > >     through it.
> > >
> > >     Good luck.
> > >
> > >     - gustav
> > >
> > > Thanks, that's detailed enough for me to get the drift.
> > > Good luck on the paper!
> > Dagfinn:
> > I might add a few more details to Gustav's suggestion.
> > First, read here for specific installation instructions:
> > http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-steps-network-installs-x86.html#id3216250
> >

> > http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-begininstall-nfs-x86.html
> >
> > On the "other" linux machine on your network, where you place the DVD
> > iso file, make sure that your iptables rules allows all access from the
> > local network (where the new machine will be connected). On that machine
> >
> > you'll need to start both nfs and portmap.
> >
> > WHen you boot up the new machine with the DVD, type at the first command
> > prompt "linux askmethod" and then you'll get the screen to choose to
> > install from an nfs server. When it asks for the nfs server, type in the
> >
> > IP of the "other" linux machine, and the path to the iso file on that
> [...]

Dunno if I'm to cry or laugh, but the installer doesn't recognize the
ethernet interface on the mainboard.
So it's the same dance with driver request during the installation.
At least now I know how to set up NFS share ;)

Maybe some of you have ideas to get the optical drive to work?
When it works up until that point, there must be some way to force it to
work in the same manner from that point on...?

Dagfinn Stangeland