[K12OSN] Authenticating Squid

Rob Asher rasher at paragould.k12.ar.us
Mon Nov 19 19:18:59 UTC 2007

The most basic would be NCSA authentication to an htpasswd generated file of your users/passwds.  Create the passwd file with htpasswd wherever you like and then add something like this to your squid.conf file:
auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/ncsa_auth /etc/squid/web_passwdsacl web_users proxy_auth REQUIRED
http_access allow web_usersYou might also look at using something like this to manage usernames and passwords if you have several users: http://squsermanager.rubyforge.org/If you have a large number of users, you'll probably want to look at LDAP authentication.  Something like:auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/squid_ldap_auth -H ldap://ldap.host.name -Z -b o=YourOrg -s sub -f "(&(objectClass=person)(uid=%s))"There are several ways to query LDAP though and that's just one that has worked for me against eDirectory.HTH,Rob-------------------------------------Rob AsherNetwork Systems TechnicianParagould School District(870)236-7744 Ext. 169>>> <ssh at tranquility.net> 11/18/2007 10:06:32 pm >>>I've always used Squid more or less out of the box, I'm working on adifferent application of it now. How can I have it authenticate to agiven list? I need to have the users enter a name/password before theycan go out through Squid.thxScott S.