[K12OSN] OT: Bash help

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Nov 21 20:45:41 UTC 2007

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2007 11:54 AM, Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us> wrote:
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/index.html
>
> Excellent!

That one is really minimalist. I'd find it hard to do much without sed
and sometimes awk (although then you might as well use perl).  You can
do some nifty database like things with plain text files and
combinations of sort/join/comm - but these days you would probably read
into perl hashes instead.

> Wikipedia of course
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unix_utilities
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coreutils

I'm not sure I'd call diff and patch core utilities but they have been
around for a long time and add some handy features.  Test (slso known as
[ ) is actually a shell built-in but you can pretend it isn't,
especially when looking for the man page.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com