[K12OSN] smbldap and XP Home - non-domain member access

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Thu Oct 11 16:20:12 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 10:44 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> If I use the smbldap-installer scripts, will I still be able to create a
> Samba share that is accessible to non-domain members?  For instance, XP
> Home Edition machines (which do not have the ability to join a domian).
>
> My understanding of a windows domain is that all shares and services are
> only available to domain members.  I'd like to be able to bypass that
> rule with my soon-to-be smbldap setup, if possible.
----
XP home (and likewise, Vista home) versions can connect to shares but
since there is no domain membership, each connection is separately
authenticated. There is no security mechanism built into Windows that
would prevent a user from authenticating as DOMAIN\User within
underlying Windows authentication but policies might be able to add
additional security features like this.

Unfortunately, within Samba, there really isn't much available as a
group policy.

I have given users on WinXP Home shell scripts to connect to domain
based shares...

something like this (from memory, untested)

net use f: /DELETE
net use f: \\SERVER\SHARE PASSWORD /USER:some_login

I think you can omit the password for it to prompt user...

net use /? for info (obviously from Windows CLI)

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>