[K12OSN] KLTSP6 connect via vnc from PC

David Whitmer thewhitmers at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 18:24:13 UTC 2007

On 10/13/07, Morten Gausland <morten at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have just done my first K12LTSP installation. Before asking a
> question, let me explain what I've done so far:
>
> 1. Installed K12LTSP version 6 accepting all defaults on a Netfinity
> 5600 with 2 NICs.
>
> 2. Connected a hub and an old PC to eth0 and network-booted the PC.
> Got login, and all worked fine.
>
> 3. Connected my Windows Vista PC to the above mentioned HUB, and
> opened a VNC (ultraVNC) session on 192.168.0.254:0. This also worked
> fine.
>
> 4. Since my existing network (and most private networks using ADSL
> internet connection) is using the 192.168 subnet, I wanted to change
> the default subnet used by eth0 (LTSP). I changed all the files
> mentioned in the ONE NIC portion of the Installation guide to use the
> 10.0 subnet, and connected the eth1 card to my existing 192.168 that
> is connected to internet via router with a dhcp server. Again I was
> able to network boot my old PC, and all worked fine. Internet now
> works on the terminal. So far so good!!!!
>
> Now my question (probably first in a series): I would like to connect
> to the server via vnc using xinetd (so without starting the
> vnc-server) from my Vista PC connected to the 192.168 subnet (so it
> would need to connect to the K12LTSP server on eth1). I have tried
> playing around with it some, but can't get it to work. Has anyone
> tried something similar with success? Any feed-back would be
> appreciated. Thanks in advance.

While this doesn't actually answer your question, I'd recommend that you
instead install freenx on your K12LTSP server, and then use NoMachine's (
www.nomachine.com) Windows client to connect from your Windows Vista PC.
It's performance, even over an internal LAN, is much better than VNC.

If you decide to try freenx, be sure to check out Rick Stout's web page
about freenx for information on copying the keys into the client software.
You should also then install NoMachine's Linux client on the K12LTSP server,
too.

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/

David Whitmer
Director of Media & Technology