[K12OSN] smbldap - adding ldap users to local groups

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Oct 20 13:06:22 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 19:55 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> How can I add LDAP users to local system groups?  I am trying to move
> to LDAP, but I'm a bit confused now...  I tried to add a new LDAP user
> to the "fuse" group (which is a non-LDAP group) and I got the
> message:  /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod: group "fuse" doesn't exist

It looks like you need to add users FROM the LDAP space TO the local
fuse group.

I think that creating an LDAP group called fusers and adding LDAP
accounts to this group is step one. Then add the LDAP group fusers to be
a member of the local machine fuse group.

> Am I supposed to make an LDAP group for every one of my local system
> groups?  This seems dangerous, because there's no guarantee that the
> "fuse" group on one of my systems is treated the same as the "fuse"
> group on another system.

The treatment of the fuse group locally is handled locally, not
cross-system. The specific membership is applied from a common point
(the ldap) to the multiple systems and the UID/GID is handled by each
local system. The connection is made by group name to group name and
group member user names.

> Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Clear as mud? :)