[K12OSN] OT Help with file deletion script

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Oct 25 17:24:17 UTC 2007

Thanks for the help guys.  This is what I ended up with and it works perfectly (at least
in simulation :-)

#!/bin/sh
cd /home
for userdir in `ls -C1`
do
  echo Working on $userdir...
  cd /home/$userdir
  for deleteme in `ls -C1 -a`
  do
   if [ "$userdir" = "support" ]
    then
      echo "Whoaa, not removing my main user!"
   elif [ "$deleteme" = "mail" ]
    then
      echo "Oops, encountered "$deleteme", not deleting!"
   elif [ "$deleteme" = ".openwebmail" ]
    then
      echo "Oops, encountered "$deleteme", not deleting!"
   else
      echo Removing $deleteme...
      rm -rif $deleteme
    fi
  done
done

Scripting a rm -rif is scary!  But it works.  I couldn't get the if to work with both
folders on the same line, so I just broke them out with elif.

Thanks again,
Jim