[K12OSN] smbldap - adding ldap users to local groups

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Oct 25 17:59:50 UTC 2007

At this point, consolidating the distro used on the servers may be a
best route forward.

Also be aware that it is only the local machine that uses UID/GID
numbers. If I have a jkinney account on 2 machines, one with UID 10223
and another with UID 500, I can NFS mount the /home from one and have
full rights on the other as user jkinney. The local kernel does the
mapping between name and number.

I would strongly suggest giving a hard thought about choosing a
particular distro for your servers and sticking with it. It will
simplify the admin/support aspect enough to warrant the effort changing.