[K12OSN] OT: easy way to move "documents and settings" folder?

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Sep 19 15:32:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:22:49 -0400, Rob Owens wrote
> I know some of the guys on this list have implemented roaming profiles
> using samba--maybe that knowledge can help me w/ my windows problem.  I
> want to move the "documents and settings" folder on our windows terminal
> server to a new drive.  The instructions I've found on microsoft's
> website include a step which requires you to edit every registry entry
> that contains the path c:\documents and settings.  I looked through my
> registry and stopped counting when I hit 500 occurrences of this path.
> Is there an easier way?
>
> Sorry for the Windows question, but it's all part of my long-term plan
> to put Linux on the desktop.
>
> -Rob

It has been a while, but can't you right click the My Documents folder and then
somewhere in properties select move and then your new location.  I know I have done this
in the past to move My Document storage out to a central server.  If nothing else pursue
correct directions for that, it is way quicker than the registry method.

Jim