[K12OSN] Failed Moodle Install - Why ?

Immanuel Derks I.Derks at translucent.nl
Thu Sep 20 21:00:19 UTC 2007

Ken Johnson wrote:
> In my newly built test server I have installed K12LTSP 6. I am trying
> to install Moodle 1.8.
>
> I have followed the instructions in the K12LTSP- Moodle Howto.
>
> When I try to first connect to the Moodle Installation screens, in the
> browser, it passes all the tests.
>
> When I get to the screen that prompts for the database name, username,
> password etc. I enter this information, then I click "next".
>
>  I get an error message in red that says:
>
> "We could not connect to the database you specified. Please check your
> database settings."
>
> What am I doing wrong and how do I check the database settings?
>
> I have entered the correct username and password.
>
> Help!

-is the database running? (service mysqld start) or check ps aux|grep mysql
-has the moodle database been created properly?; did you see the setup
script create the zillions of tables?
otherwise do:

mysql  -u root -p....and then creatate database moodle ;

GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,CREATE,CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, DROP,INDEX,ALTER ON moodle.* TO moodleuser at localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'yourpassword';

-are you running a firewall that bloacks access? (iptables -L -n and see
if port 3306 is not blocked out)

euhhh