[K12OSN] Migrating users to a new server smbldap

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Sep 25 15:00:25 UTC 2007

This is a great case for having "enforced" passwords....like I do  ;-)
(this way I always have the correct userlist with passwords)....
Anyway....you can easily change the permissions on the home directories
with a script like this:

!#/bin/bash
for x in `ls /home`; do
echo "Doing ${x} ..."
cd /home/${x}
chown -R ${x}:Students /home/${x}/
echo "I have changed the permissions for ${x}"
done

I've never run into UID issues.  I've moved users and home dirs all over
the place.  So long as the username is the same it all works.  The script
is simplistic, but you get the idea.  I recently had to redo my server due
to a "fat fingers" mistake.  I tarred up the entire /home
directory....moved it to another server....reformatted and reloaded the
server....brought the tarred /home back over.....untarred it in
place.....added the users and then ran the script above.....everything is
back to normal...no data lost.