[K12OSN] LTSP - installing VMware player

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Sep 28 06:20:13 UTC 2007

Nils Breunese wrote:
> Kevin Mims wrote:
>
>> It's FC6.  I see all kinds of references to an all-all patch, but I'm
>> not sure what version of the Player is working the best under Fedora
>> Core 6.
>
> As you can read in the docs Fedora Core 6 is not a supported host OS
> for VMWare. I believe you do need that any-any patch. I know I needed
> it when I installed VMWare Server (also free of charge these days) on
> Fedora a couple of months ago. See
> <http://communities.vmware.com/message/76957> for more information on
> the any-any patch.
>
> Nils Breunese.

Just this week, I installed VMware Server on Ubuntu Feisty 64-bit on a
Core 2 Duo box at work.  I'm running Windows XP SP2 as a guest in the
thing (requirement for the CrackBerry), and like Nils, I too needed the
any-any patch.  But it does work, and rather well.

I haven't (yet) tried installing VMware on any Fedora releases, but if I
were going to do that, I'd lean more toward RHEL or CentOS.  That's
because that's what VMware, Inc. is more likely to support as a host
OS.  Given my results with Feisty64, I'd guess that RHEL/CentOS probably
would work pretty well with it, too.

--TP