[K12OSN] A few ~$200 thin clients to try

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sat Apr 5 13:10:57 UTC 2008

Hi Bill,

I/We at school have been using K12LTSP since first version. Of course we
started out with old P1 machines at school that were cast offs which
worked fine but looked pretty tacky. If I had my druthers I'd go 100%
withe the Ebox2300. they are plenty adeqaute for most anything. Simply
take it out of the little box it comes in, screw it onto the back of a
*flat* back VESA compliant flat screen with speakers. Turn it on,and go
into bios and enable pxe boot. You have a no noise, no heat, no power,
munching thin client. Comes in aneat little ruggidized finned aluminum
case.You will only need to compile the SIS sound driver for it,to get
sound from it. To simplyfy things I have a precompiled sound driver you
can " borrow" to cut down on the grunt time involved in doing the
compiling,,huh bub. Simply copy/paste this driver into your ltsp drivers
tree & put an entry in your lts.conf file for this client to use the SIS
driver.You would be very happy with it, I am sure and/or for a school
use too. BTW: It does run Flash, Youtube stuff just like the
noisy/hot/power gobbling machines do too!
Here is the link to look at:

http://www.wdlsystems.com/modperl/view_services.cgi?r=list_aisle.plate&aisle_id=1006

If you call these people you will actually get a human to answer the
phone as well :-)

Take care,

Barry Cisna