[K12OSN] Linux "Software RAID"

Hey Folks,

I hear people extolling the virtues of "software RAID" on the list a lot. I'm finally setting up a production server in a school and I have enough disks to play with to do RAID. I'm leaning towards RAID 5. Anyway, when people say "software RAID" do they mean just setting up a RAID in LVM Manager? Or is the mdadm command the simpler, more robust, preferred way to do this? I never thought about using LVM for this before, but the last time I was in there I noticed some RAID options. This is for a Samba/LDAP/home directory server.

Thanks,

ck